the power to call divine vengeance

< Previous | Next >

Abu aamir

Arabic
Hello Language Enthusiasts
Some minority of Arabs when they suspect each other or want to take solemn oaths, they swear by the names of selective saints, they prefer to swear by them over swearing by some other saints, because the swearers believe that those selective Saints "have the power to speedily call divine vengeance", in the above mentioned situations (suspecting or taking oaths) they swear only by those saints, they even do not swear by God, because they think that God and some of his saints may be forgiving, unlike some selective saints who are regarded as "swift in calling divine vengeance" against lying swearers, I may have labored the point, just to make it a s clear as possible, is there a word for "power to swiftly calling divine vengeance"?.

• lentulax

UK English
    I don't think we have such a word (is there a single word in Arabic covering all those ideas?) I suppose that is probably down to cultural (religious) differences - we don't have saints with that power. There is no patron saint of vengeance.

Abu aamir

Arabic
    Welcome lentulax
    Yes there is one word for this, but I would like to reiterate that my post was full of context for clarity, the concept is only "power to call divine vengeance", and the rest was just context, [.....] so the saint whose name is not observed by swearers when they swear by him, He will cause them to feel embarrassed by calling divine vengeance upon them.

[Edited to remove Arabic terms from the English Only forum. DonnyB - moderator].

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >