The present...was all I had in which...a movement of...would have sealed my doom

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: "will you hear reason?” (he stooped and approached his lips to my ear); “because, if you won’t, I’ll try violence.” His voice was hoarse; his look that of a man who is just about to burst an insufferable bond and plunge headlong into wild license. I saw that in another moment, and with one impetus of frenzy more, I should be able to do nothing with him. The present—the passing second of time—was all I had in which to control and restrain him—a movement of repulsion, flight, fear would have sealed my doom,—and his.

Context: Mr. R commanded Jane to leave England with him but she took courage to refuse.

Annotations from the source website: It appears Jane suspects Mr. Rochester will either beat her or rape her; the terms “license” and “frenzy,” generally associated with sexual misbehavior, point to the latter. So does the notion that the act would seal his “doom” as well as hers.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. The expression of "all I had in which " has puzzled me. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

to seal => 9. to decide in a way that will not be changed:
doom => 2. ruin or death:

The sentence => the present - the passing second of time - was all [(that) I had to control and restrain him]- in which (= the present), if I had moved to repulse, flee or fear him, I would have been certain to be ruined - so would him.

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I was not able to follow your last paragraph, to say if it is correct. A simpler version is:

The present—the passing second of time—was all I had in which to...:arrow:I only had a moment to...

< Previous | Next >