The prince is handsome but wicked and lazy

LQZ

Mandarin
1 The prince is handsome but wicked and lazy.
2 The prince is wicked and lazy but handsome.
Dear all,

The above is made by me, and could you tell me whether they have the same meaning ? Thanks.

LQZ

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    No, they don't have the same meaning, LQZ - I'm not sure why you think they should:confused:

LQZ

Mandarin
    No, they don't have the same meaning, LQZ - I'm not sure why you think they should:confused:
    Loob, I am confused. :(

In Chinese, they basically have the same meaning, and the slight difference between them is that the sentence 1 is stressing "wicked and laze", but sentence 2 "handsome".

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Well, it depends what you mean by "meaning".

I'd say that in English, sentence 1 is stressing "handsome", and sentence 2 is stressing "wicked and lazy".

That, to me, indicates a difference in meaning.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Well, it depends what you mean by "meaning".

I'd say that in English, sentence 1 is stressing "handsome", and sentence 2 is stressing "wicked and lazy".

That, to me, indicates a difference in meaning.
    Loob, thank you. :)

Could you explain more to me? Apart from stressing diferent features, I don't know any difference in meaning. To me, they are the same in meaing.

Loob

English UK
    Well, to me, "meaning" includes stress or emphasis.

If it doesn't for you, I don't understand why you asked your question.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Well, to me, "meaning" includes stress or emphasis.

If it doesn't for you, I don't understand why you asked your question.
    Loob, I think that must be because I am not a native speaker and lack the language sense. so sometimes I would think there probably may be a nuance, a implication or something I don't know. :D

Thanks. :)

Loob

English UK
    LQZ, you have explained that there is a nuance between the two sentences in Chinese. I'd say there is also a nuance between the two sentences (though perhaps a different one) in English.

There's nothing very mysterious here...:)

< Previous | Next >