the product separator used at a supermarket

jamesjiao

New Zealand English and Mandarin Chinese
Hi guys

I have been wondering about this for quite some time now. What do you call the separator bar that cashiers use at a supermarket to separate one customer's shopping from another's?

Many thanks

James

• bluegiraffe

English - England
    Interesting question, "Can you pass me the green thingy?" in a certain supermarket which uses green as a branding tool, "can you pass me the thingy?" in other shops. So "thingy"?

Szkot

British English
    There are actually 2 kinds of divider:

the one which goes on the belt to separate customers' goods before they are scanned, and the one which allows the next person's goods to be scanned while the previous customer is still packing.

<< Unhelpful links deleted by moderator. >>

Which one is the thingy?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluegiraffe

English - England
    There weren't any pictures on the link so I'm not sure what this thingy that seperates the shopping whilst someone is packing is. They don't have them in my local green supermarket. It might be a thingy but I'd have to see it to decide. Do you need to pass it over? That's key.

Andygc

British English
    There weren't any pictures on the link so I'm not sure what this thingy that seperates the shopping whilst someone is packing is. They don't have them in my local green supermarket. It might be a thingy but I'd have to see it to decide. Do you need to pass it over? That's key.

<< Unnecessary comments removed by moderator. >>

The thingy that divides shopping on the in-belt is a checkout divider Patent US2003182836 and the thingy that divides shopping on the out-slope is an item accumulation divider for a checkout counter Patent US2007051561. However, the checkout divider has a rival in the supermarket hall of fame, in that there is also a divider for goods on checkout conveyor Patent GB2423621. There is also a checkout-conveyor divider covered by Patent GB2381368 and a retail checkout divider adapted to receive strips with indicia displayed thereon which is covered by Patent US5933994. To confuse the picture even more, you must not forget the checkout counter order divider including merchandise to be purchased, which is covered by Patent MX9605439 or, perhaps, the star of the supermarket belt the illuminated checkout divider with motion detector Patent US2003233775

The correct name to use does rather depend on the exact design of the divider being used. I think I prefer "thingy"

Last edited by a moderator:

Copyright

American English
    Google again:
    22,900 for "grocery dividers"
    514 for "checkout dividers"
    (Ignoring all those terms I didn't put in.)

Personally, I call it The Great Wall of Cola -- because I'm not sure I've seen one here. We tend to use courtesy, caution and common sense (the cola), aka The Three Cs. (My, my, aren't we ever so smugly evolved.) :D

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    << The topic of the thread is clearly set out at earlier.
    Posts that address other members' responses have been removed.
    You are welcome to address the thread topic, if you wish.
    panjandrum >>