The projection of our fears and desires, our yearning to matter

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
The object of the sentence seems to be "the projection (of our fears...) to matter."

WRF: projection,
  1. a projecting or protruding part.
  2. the state or fact of jutting out or protruding.
So I understand "the projection of our fears and desires, our yearning to matter" as "reaching out (our fears and desires, our yearning) into matter."

Am I on the right track?

(I feel some nuance escapes from me)

Thanks in advance
The cold, hard skeptic in me rejects neo-geocentrism as the kind of fuzzy-headed mysticism that science helps us overcome. Neo-geocentrism represents the projection of our fears and desires, our yearning to matter. Its surging popularity is, perhaps, a symptom of our era’s social-media-enabled self-infatuation.

-Scientific American
Source

• NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Yes. :thumbsup: 11 to be of importance; to be of significance
    " Neo-geocentrism represents the projection of our fears and desires, our yearning to matter" seems now to mean " Neo-geocentrism represents amplifying our fears and desires and amplifying our dread to be prominent."

I don't know whether I am on the right track. I am still not able to get a very clear picture.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Projection" has another common physical meaning. I believe this quote uses a metaphoric use of that meaning, not of the "sticking out" meaning.

To show a small picture to a large audience, we use a "slide projector" or an "overhead projector" that shines light through the picture and "projects" that picture as a big picture on a wall or screen. The machine that shines light through a movie to make a huge moving picture for an audience is a "movie projector".

The verb "project" means to make a big clear copy of the small picture. The noun "projection" means the large image that can be seen clearly (by an audience).

So I think what this author is saying (metaphorically) is that neo-geocentrism is a clear, easy-to-picture mental image, which represents unclear, hard-to-picture fears/desires/yearnings.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    They key to understanding this is that "to matter" is part of "yearning to matter", not of "projecting to matter".

There are three things:
    1) our fears,
    2) our desires,
    3) our yearning to matter.
    Neo-geocentrism represents the projection of these three things.

Our yearning to matter means our striving or our desire (not dread, but wish) to be important.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Neo-geocentrism represents the projection of our fears and desires, our yearning to matter.

7. the act of visualizing and regarding an idea or the like as an objective reality.
    8. something that is so visualized and regarded

Neo-geocentrism is a philosophy that represents the imagined embodiment of our fears, our desires and our innate need to be considered as important or significant as if they were an objective reality.

< Previous | Next >