the public relations officer is remarkably anodyne; all ...

< Previous | Next >

Shandol

Persian - پارسی
Hi everybody. Hope all of you are doing well and full of pep. I came across a statement taken from "Essential Words for the GRE" forth edition.
The public relations officer is remarkably anodyne; all he does is mouth comforting, politically correct platitudes, saying nothing of substance.
To be candid with you, I can't make head or tail of it. I'd appreciate it if you could help me to make it out.
Thanks.

• se16teddy

English - England
    Patrick, what do you understand of this sentence? <-----Additional comment removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Here is a very approximate paraphrase.
    He is amazingly dull. All he does is say bland things. He says nothing significant.

Last edited by a moderator:

owlman5

English-US
    In talk about people, "anodyne" means something like "bland and superficial", This Is Patrick. In talk about chemicals, "anodyne" should mean "soothing/capable of relieving pain or distress."

cross-posted with Teddy.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thanks. This negative use of "anodyne" strikes me as being more characteristic of BE.

I assume you've found the meaning of "platitude" in the dictionary.
    All he does is mouth platitudes, saying nothing of substance : He never says anything worthwhile— only makes trite remarks.

Shandol

Persian - پارسی
    Thanks. This negative use of "anodyne" strikes me as being more characteristic of BE.

I assume you've found the meaning of "platitude" in the dictionary.
    All he does is mouth platitudes, saying nothing of substance : He never says anything worthwhile— only makes trite
    Much obliged to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >