the punchy quote and targeted one-liner

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "the punchy quote and targeted one-liner" mean "the powerful quotations and funny remarks that are well targeted"?

Thanks in advance

In a city where politicians and policy wonks alike use the punchy quote and targeted one-liner to establish position and authority in the public eye, Douglas Elmendorf has the audacity to speak slowly, in full sentences and even thought-out paragraphs.

-Examiner

Source

• NewAmerica

Mandarin
    It means the short sharp things they say in the hope of their being quoted and attracting attention.
    Sorry, I've failed to get a clear picture from your explanation.

Grammatically, targeted = well aimed, one-liner = witty comment?

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I mean that they talk in sound bites, rather than in the way Elmendorf is described as speaking.
    Okay, in sound bites. Does "the punchy quote" refer to that they quote words from renowned people? Your description of "in the hope of their being quoted" appears to be the opposite. I don't know where I've got it wrong.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree with lingobingo. The politicians and policy experts express themselves in short, striking sentences that they hope will be quoted by other people.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I agree with lingobingo. The politicians and policy experts express themselves in short, striking sentences that they hope will be quoted by other people.
    :thumbsup:
    The original sentence is "politicians and policy wonks alike use the punchy quote and targeted one-liner"so the punchy quote refers to their own form of expression?

< Previous | Next >