The quality of life in rural areas has improved

< Previous | Next >

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

I was talking to one of friends about this and he believes the second sentence is wrong:

1-The quality of life in rural areas has improved markedly over the past decades.

2-The quality of life in rural areas has been improved markedly over the past decades.

I know it can be about being transitive and intransitive. But for the second one can't we say there is an agent? :

The quality of life has been improved by technology and health care facilities.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    For the second sentence, there has to be an agent, and from a grammatical point of view the sentence is fine. You can, for instance, say that the government has markedly improved the quality of life in rural areas.

However, I cannot really imagine anyone saying sentence (2). If you don't want to name the agent, then sentence (1) is fine. All sentence (2) does is make it clear that there was an agent, but sentence (1) already implies an agent (logically, rather than grammatically), since it is hard to see how the improvement in could have taken place without an agent.

supermarioutd

Persian
    For the second sentence, there has to be an agent, and from a grammatical point of view the sentence is fine. You can, for instance, say that the government has markedly improved the quality of life in rural areas.

However, I cannot really imagine anyone saying sentence (2). If you don't want to name the agent, then sentence (1) is fine. All sentence (2) does is make it clear that there was an agent, but sentence (1) already implies an agent (logically, rather than grammatically), since it is hard to see how the improvement in could have taken place without an agent.
    That is why this is a bit confusing and hard to explain.

kentix

English - U.S.
    There is no point to sentence number two without saying who/what is responsible. It's more words than sentence number one with no additional meaning.

It's begging for a "by" or "because of".

The quality of life in rural areas has been improved markedly over the past decades because of the introduction of...

< Previous | Next >