The Queen

irene.acler

Italiano
The article, written by Enrico Franceschini, takes the cue from the French magazine Point de vue which, encroaching again on the privacy of the Queen Elizabeth II, yields up the secrets of the Royal organization.

Do I have to put the article before the Queen or not?
Thank you!

• ElaineG

USA/English
    If you have her name (Queen Elizabeth II), no article is needed. If you just say the Queen, well, then you need to say the Queen.

It's the same as President George W. Bush or the President. Prime Minister Prodi or the Prime Minister.

Spero di essere chiara ;).

irene.acler

Italiano
    If you have her name (Queen Elizabeth II), no article is needed. If you just say the Queen, well, then you need to say the Queen.

It's the same as President George W. Bush or the President. Prime Minister Prodi or the Prime Minister.

Spero di essere chiara ;).
    OK, now I understand..but in the following example?

The text focuses on the French weekly publication Point de Vue reporting back all the secrets of the Queen Elizabeth II’s life organisation.

shamblesuk

England, English
    Quando si scrive un titolo di qualcuno più il suo nome, non si usa l'articolo:

...the Prime Minister
    ...Prime Minister Tony Blair
    ...the President
    ...President George W Bush

ecc

Lee

shamblesuk

England, English
    È scorretto. Senza l'articolo, punto e basta.

Lee

OK, now I understand..but in the following example?

The text focuses on the French weekly publication Point de Vue reporting back all the secrets of the Queen Elizabeth II’s life organisation.

ElaineG

USA/English
    of the Queen Elizabeth II’s life organisation
    Well, as I said, you have two choices:

Of the Queen's life organisation, or

of Queen Elizabeth II's life organization.

(I'm not sure what life organization is, by the way).

DanyD

Italiano, Italy
    Hi all!

If I was to speak of the rock group Queen, I should never use the article, should I?

ElaineG

USA/English
    Then I might say:

... all the secrets of how QEII's life is organized.

Hi all!

If I was to speak of the rock group Queen, I should never use the article, should I?
    No :D , that's something else entirely. A rock group doesn't take an article unless it's part of their name (The Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, but Queen, U2, Guns-n-Roses, etc.).

< Previous | Next >