The question is how we can achieve the goal.

andychen

Chinese, Taiwan
Hi, everyone.
The question is how we can achieve the goal?
The question is how can we achieve the goal.
The question is how can we achieve the goal?
Would you guys please tell me which sentence is correct?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, everyone.
    The question is how we can achieve the goal?
    The question is how can we achieve the goal.
    The question is how can we achieve the goal?
    Would you guys please tell me which sentence is correct?
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

Why don't you tell us what you think, Andychen?

andychen

Chinese, Taiwan
    I'd choose the first or second one. I am asking this question because I read, from a website, a sentence that shows the following.
    The question, then, is how can students improve their communication skills, particularly in countries where English isn't the native language.
    So I am confused, and therefore need you guys' help.

JeffJo

USA
    USA, English
    The question is how we can achieve the goal. -- Right.

The question is how we can achieve the goal? -- Wrong. The sentence, overall, is not a question. It's a declaration about a question.

The question is , how can we achieve the goal. -- Needs a comma to separate the question cited. With a period at the end, instead of a question mark, it's a rhetorical question, which you don't want people to anwer. You'll answer it, yourself, as you continue to speak. The period means you use a "flat" tone of voice.

The question is , how can we achieve the goal? -- Right, also. The question mark means you use a questioning tone of voice. If someone spoke up to answer the question, you would listen.

A colon can be used as follows.

The question is : how can we achieve the goal? -- Right. Always use a question mark for this style.

(Don't use a space before a comma or colon as I did above. I only did that to be sure they'd show.)