the rail-like gulleys


Senior Member
Can anybody explain the meaning of "rail-like gulleys" in the context as follows: She took hands out of her pockets and stared at the carpet as she slowly walked round the desk to join Tweed.

"The rail-like gulleys we saw when we were here have gone,' she observed.

'I noticed that too,' said Tweed. 'Someone has used a vacuum cleaner.
  • languageGuy

    Senior Member
    USA and English
    It sounds like a set of parallel indentations in the carpet made by wheeling something heavy across the carpet. It would look like the rails of a railrod track.
    < Previous | Next >