The rate in A is 7.8 percent, in B the rate is 9.3 percent.

Roundhouse

Bengali
I have the following:

Two regions: St. John’s and Northern BC​
Unemployment Rates: 7.8 and 9.3 percent respectively​
Requirement: 630 and 560 hours respectively​

I need to put this information in a sentence, ensuring there is parallelism. I wrote this down but my sentence sounds a bit awkward. Where did I blunder? Can someone suggest a rearrangement of the wordings?

The regional unemployment rate in St. John’s is 7.8 percent, in Northern BC the rate is 9.3 percent. In St. John’s, workers require 630 hours of insurable work to qualify for EI benefits; in Northern BC, workers require 560 hours.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You only have two pieces of information for two regions, so it is probably easiest to report the two pieces of information for one place followed by the same information for the other place. I suggest you begin, "In St John's...".

Roundhouse

Bengali
    You only have two pieces of information for two regions, so it is probably easiest to report the two pieces of information for one place followed by the same information for the other place. I suggest you begin, "In St John's...".
    Uncle Jack, that is a very good suggestion. However, it needs to be in the format of "the rate in region A and region B" and "the hours in region A and region B". This is because the conclusion I am going to draw is about those two factors, the regions are not that important.

Roundhouse

Bengali
    Uncle Jack, I found this as an alternative. Do you think this solves the issue?

The regional unemployment rates in St. John’s and Northern BC are 7.8 and 9.3 percent respectively.

< Previous | Next >