(the) rational/efficient allocation of ...

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hello, people,

The two sentences below are from the Oxford dictionary. Why sentence 1 doesn't use 'the', but sentence 2 uses it.

1.Value for money is associated with rational allocation of existing or given resources.
2.And to do so it must make the efficient allocation of scare resources its prime objective at all times.

What's about my sentence? Should I use 'the'?
In order to solve the problem casued by gender inequality, (the) allocation of some of high-level positions to women is necessary.

Many many thanks

• lingobingo

English - England
    The definite article is optional in all those examples – including yours (which needs some correction). In general, it tends to be better to add one when using a mass noun in that way. But…

In 1 the lack of an article works well in balance with “value for money” – which can’t take a definite article (unless a specific example of the concept is meant).

In 2 the “scarce resources” mentioned suggest a specific scenario. So, according to the exact context (which we don’t know), it might be better to say eitherthe efficient allocation of scarce resources” or “efficient allocation of the scarce resources” — but it would not sound good to use two definite articles.

There’s no golden rule, and no magic formula for instinctively knowing what works best.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    which needs some correction
    Thank you so much. I think I know where is wrong. Have I fixed the problem?

In order to solve the problem casued by gender inequality, companies should allocate some of high-level positions to women.
    The allocation of some of high-level positions to women is the most effective way to slove the problem caused by gender inequality.

The Newt

English - US
    Thank you so much. I think I know where is wrong. Have I fixed the problem?

In order to solve the problem caused by gender inequality, companies should allocate some of high-level positions to women.
    The allocation of some of high-level positions to women is the most effective way to solve the problem caused by gender inequality.
    "Some of high-level positions" doesn't work. You need to say either "some high-level positions" (which sounds a bit vague) or "some of their high-level positions."

< Previous | Next >