the "real“ greengrocer's boy

eddie_88

mandarin
The substitution being repeated (much to the pecuniary advantage of the "real“ greengrocer's boy) on the
following day, Albert brought back the first piece of hopeful news.

what does the word "real" here mean?

i dont think it mean "genuine", does it?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I don't see what else it can mean, and "substitution" makes this at least a plausible reading.

Please say where this is from,and tell us what is happening.

eddie_88

mandarin
    I don't see what else it can mean, and "substitution" makes this at least a plausible reading.

Please say where this is from,and tell us what is happening.
    [.....] The following morning the indefatigable Albert, having cemented an alliance
    with the greengrocer's boy, took the latter's place and ingratiated himself with the cook at Malthouse. He
    returned with the information that she was undoubtedly "one of the crooks," but Tommy mistrusted the
    vividness of his imagination. Questioned, he could adduce nothing in support of his statement except his own
    opinion that she wasn't the usual kind. [....]

The substitution being repeated (much to the pecuniary advantage of the ""real"" greengrocer's boy) on the
    following day, Albert brought back the first piece of hopeful news.
    [Quoted text reduced to the permitted maximum. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie_88

mandarin
    from where did u see that Albert pretends to be the greengrocer's boy?
    why didnt author simply say 'the greengrocer's boy'? i am confused about the 'real' still.

eddie_88

mandarin
    The following morning the indefatigable Albert, having cemented an alliance with the greengrocer's boy, took the latter's place

Albert took the place of the greengrocer's boy.
    thank you. i know now.
    By the way, i dont thoroughly understand the word "questioned" in the sentence "Questioned, he could adduce nothing in support of his statement except his own opinion that she wasn't the usual kind."
    can you help me with it?

Uncle Jack

British English
    [Off-topic content edited out. DonnyB - moderator.]

"Questioned" means "when he was questioned", "he" being the subject of the following clause, Albert. Presumably Tommy was doing the questioning.

eddie_88

mandarin
    Thanks again for extending ur help with which i see the sentence as it is. i mistook the 'he' for tommy.

< Previous | Next >