the real Jerusalem was the <reserve> of Suleiman

thetazuo

Chinese - China
Joseph believed in the return of the Jews to the Promised Land, and Suleiman granted him the lordship of Tiberias in Galilee where he settled Italian Jews, rebuilt the town and planted mulberry trees to foster a silk industry, the rst Jew to settle Jews in the Holy Land. He would build his Jerusalem in Galilee because that ultra-sensitive connoisseur of power knew that the real Jerusalem was the reserve of Suleiman.

Except from
Jerusalem

Hi. What does "reserve" mean here?
Thank you.

• Barque

Tamil
    It's a variation of this definition (WR dictionary): something stored or saved for use or time of need; stock: [countable] a reserve of food.

Suleiman had "reserved" the original Jerusalem for himself.

The Newt

English - US
    I think the writer meant "preserve":

Something looked on as belonging to a particular person or group of people only: She was running for the Senate to prove that politics was no longer just a male preserve.
    (Random House Dictionary)

Barque

Tamil
    Do you mean he meant "preserve" but used the wrong word? Perhaps you're right. I thought you were saying it was a typo.

The Newt

English - US
    Do you mean he meant "preserve" but used the wrong word? Perhaps you're right. I thought you meant it was a typo.
    I suspect he chose the wrong word (although the difference in meaning is quite slight), since "the preserve of" is the usual formula. But it may well be that he prefers "the reserve of."

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you, Barque and Newt. But no dictionary I’ve resorted to says that “preserve” is synonymous with “reserve” in the sense of “Something looked on as belonging to a particular person or group of people only”. I think “preserve” makes more sense in the op sentence.

< Previous | Next >