The realization of fully autonomous machines

uonme1212

English-USA
Hello.

The realization of fully autonomous machines has been a long time dream of many engineers.

Two questions are :

1) Should I remove "The" before realization?

2) Does "fully autonomous machines" sound okay?

Thank you for your help in advance.

• e2efour

UK English
    Welcome to the English forum, uonme1212! :)

I would not remove the in sentence 1). There should also be a hyphen in long-time.

Fully autonomous is acceptable, although fully may not be strictly necessary. For example, one definition of an
    autonomous robot is a robot that performs behaviors or tasks with a high degree of autonomy. According to this definition,
    the robot is not fully autonomous.
    Also autonomous (or driverless) cars, are currently not fully autonomous. But when they are in the next few years, there will be no need for the word fully.

By the way, where does your sentence come from? If it is not your sentence, the forum rules ask you to give us the source.

Last edited:

uonme1212

English-USA
    I would not remove the in sentence 1). There should also be a hyphen in long-time.

Fully autonomous is acceptable, although fully may not be strictly necessary. For example, one definition of an
    autonomous robot is a robot that performs behaviors or tasks with a high degree of autonomy. According to this definition,
    the robot is not fully autonomous.
    Also autonomous (or driverless) cars, are currently not fully autonomous. But when they are in the next few years, there will be no need for the word fully.

By the way, where does your sentence come from? If it is not your sentence, the forum rules ask you to give us the source.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for your response. It was my first post, and I need to learn the forum rules.
    It was my writing.

e2efour

UK English
    I think long-time is an American version of long-term in British English.
    The hyphen is more likely in the latter -- we never write longterm, for example.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think long-time is an American version of long-term in British English.
    Well according to the Collins dictionary, they are two separate words with two, somewhat separate, meanings - in both British and American English. I don't think one is an American version.

The Collins dictionary spells longtime the same way for both British and American usage and long-term the same way for both British and American usage.

e2efour

UK English
    The normal spelling in BE is long-time (see Collins online, the British National Corpus and the OED).
    Longtime is occasionally found, but mainly in AE publications.

The adjective long-time (in the meaning extending for a long time) is not so common in BE compared with long-term.
    Its main meaning is as in a long-time acquaintance, i.e. who you have known for a long time.

Last edited:

uonme1212

English-USA
    Well according to the Collins dictionary, they are two separate words with two, somewhat separate, meanings - in both British and American English. I don't think one is an American version.

The Collins dictionary spells longtime the same way for both British and American usage and long-term the same way for both British and American usage.
    I learned a lot from your post. Thanks for your help!

uonme1212

English-USA
    The normal spelling in BE is long-time (see Collins online, the British National Corpus and the OED).
    Longtime is occasionally found, but mainly in AE publications.

The adjective long-time (in the meaning extending for a long time) is not so common in BE compared with long-term.
    Its main meaning is as in a long-time acquaintance, i.e. who has lasted for a long time.
    Thank you for your comments. Your comment is very helpful.

< Previous | Next >