The restless are included in tasks.

blwings

Korean-S.Korea
"Many people who live with someone who has dementia, and the best care home staff, respond to difficult behaviours almost instinctively. The restless are included in tasks: gardening, making beds or folding clean towels, and they sleep better too for having had a busy day."

I know 'the + adjective' form is used to refer to a group of people. But then I wonder how restless people can be included in tasks here, since people and tasks are belong to different categories. Does the underlined part mean 'tasks are allocated to restless people'?

• Leeeroy

Polish - Poland
    The restless are included in tasks Does the underlined part mean 'tasks are allocated to restless people'?
    I guess you could say that, though that would imply compulsion IMO. You could also replace included with engaged.

Also, "are belong" is a mistake (...tasks are belong to...)

Last edited by a moderator:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, the people who are good care givers make sure to include them in tasks that they are capable of doing. Those are tasks that probably don't take a lot of concentration or deep thinking. It will keep them busy and use up their excess energy, instead of them using it up by wandering around aimlessly and possibly causing trouble some way.

To include somebody in something means to give them the opportunity to be a participant in that activity. They join others doing the same thing.