The right tense in the context

< Previous | Next >

Ivan_I

Banned
Russian
I want to communicate the following idea:

Every time I am asked to tell about what I did earlier today I feel frustrated because I can't properly remember what I did.

Here is the issue I need to consult on.

1) Is PAST SIMPLE the only possible option in "what I did earlier today "? Could it be:

what I was doing earlier today
what I have been doing earlier today
what I have done earlier today

• se16teddy

English - England
    what I was doing earlier today :tick:
    what I have been doing earlier today :cross:
    because "earlier today" sounds like you are emphasizing that the activity ended in the past not the present.
    what I have done earlier today sounds a bit odd but might be said if you are emphasizing the present result rather than the past action.

Ivan_I

Banned
    Russian
    One more question. How do you feel about "today" in that sentence? Doesn't it give the idea of today which is only today? Of course, I don't mean only today but every day I am asked. Could it also be

Every time I am asked to tell someone about what I did earlier (ON) THE SAME DAY I feel frustrated because I can't properly remember what I did.

Ivan_I

Banned
    Russian
    "Today" means today. If you are talking about a different day, you can say "earlier the same day".
    I know what today means. How many todays have you had in your life? If you say "one", then how come every today is not exactly the same?

< Previous | Next >