the risks for(of?) addiction

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

Featuring interviews with Silicon Valley technologists and parents, a New York Times report on October 26, 2018 claimed the wariness of years ago has turned into a regionwide consensus. They are now saying that the benefits of using digital as a learning tool are overblown, and worse, the risks for addiction as well as stunting development too high.

(This comes from abs-cbn.com Taking the cue from Steve Jobs, Bill Gates on digital addiction by Aneth Ng-Lim on November 5, 2018.)

Do you think "for" should be modified to "of"? If not, can you tell me why?

Thanks in advance!

• lingobingo

English - England
    No. Because risks is in the plural (and because of the context).

There is a risk of addiction / There are risks for (= that might lead to) addiction

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The sentence is badly punctuated and has ellipsis:
    They are now saying that the benefits of using digital as a learning tool are overblown, and worse, the risks - for addiction as well as of stunting development - are too high.

However, that said, I would still use "of", although "for" can mean "in respect of"

ironman2012

Chinese
    Because risks is in the plural (and because of the context).
    Do you mean a plural "risks" is not followed by "of"?
    There is a risk of addiction / There are risks for (= that might lead to) addiction
    Can I understand them this way:
    There is a risk of addiction = there is a risk, and the risk is addiction
    There are risks for addiction = there are risks, and the risks might lead to addiction

lingobingo

English - England
    I mean that in that sentence “for” is okay. I wouldn’t feel the need to change it. I suppose this was my thinking:

How many risks of addiction can there be? There is a risk. A risk of what? Of addiction.

How many risks for addiction can there be? There are risks. What sort of risks? Risks that could lead to addiction.

ironman2012

Chinese
    the risks - for addiction as well as of stunting development - are too high.
    One more question: do you mean "(the risk) for addiction as well as (the risk) of stunting development"? Why the first is used with "for" and the second with "of"?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You can use either but, to me, "of" in both cases sounds more natural,
    If you notice, I did write above
    However, that said, I would still use "of", although "for" can mean "in respect of"

< Previous | Next >