the roads were impossible to trespass

neglector

Turkish
Hi everyone, I have got a grammar-related question, which is:

''Since the roads were impossible to trespass because of the heavy snow in the north of Turkey, ........... ''

A) There were a number of things we had taken into account before constructing the new tunnel

B) Most of the passengers in the vehicles had frozen to death

To me, the best option that works here is B, but the answer key says the correct one is A. So, I am in some kind of dilemma and I need your guys opinions as to why the answer can or cannot be B. The reason why I am inclined to go for B is that A doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, it is like there is a logical problem like 'why do the guys wanting to build the new tunnel chose a time when it is snowing?' Also, if we opt for B, wouldn't there be a time-related problem? Like, people had already started to freeze before it started snowing. So, which one you think is the most appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

• Tunalagatta

English - England
    Hello,

I think it might have something to do with vocabulary here. Why would passengers in vehicles freeze because the roads were impossible to trespass (meaning, "enter illegally")?

I don't really follow the logic of A) much better, although I suppose the people might have been worried about people trespassing during the construction of the tunnel, perhaps to steal materials, so temporarily they didn't have to worry so much because of the snow, but they still had to take a number of things into account. It's a real stretch of the imagination here, though; what a question!

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The sentence should probably begin "Since the roads were impossible to pass ..."

Aside from that, the answer choices have different meanings. We have no information about people freezing to death or about planning a new tunnel. I don't see how one can choose one answer over the other. (A) makes more sense than (B), since engineers usually consider many factors in planning a major construction project and people do not often freeze to death in vehicles, but that reasoning does not involve grammar.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No, it should be, ''Since the roads were impassable..."

If the answer is B, then there must be more context before the sentence. I suspect it is taken from a passage about constructing a tunnel through some mountains.

Tunalagatta

English - England
    Well, I agree that by replacing "trespass" with "pass" or saying "Since the roads were impassable", either is possible, so I don't know why the answer is "A" and not "B", either.

Imagining that "trespass" is indeed the right term, though: perhaps the "we" are criminals intending to trespass and construct an illegal tunnel.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I strongly suspect that the writer really meant to use "traverse" instead of "trespass", although I also think that saying "Since the roads were impassable" would have been better.

At present, though, if it really does say "trespass", then the sentence is incoherent nonsense, and there is no "right answer".

< Previous | Next >