the ruling came in

< Previous | Next >

Hole

Croatia - Croatian
Hi!
I have a sentence I don't understand (the bold one): The Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights ruled that segregating Roma students into special schools is a form of unlawful discrimination. The ruling came in D.H. and Others v. the Czech Republic, a case launched eight years ago.
I guess it has something to do with precedent (DH v. the Czech Republic being a precedent), but I can't make out the meaning of "the ruling came in". Is there any other way to say that?

• sdgraham

USA English
    Apparently, the case, D.H. and Others v. the Czech Republic, is the same case as that in the first sentence and thus does not rely on precedent.

I would have said something like: "The case, D.H. and Others v. the Czech Republic, was filed eight years ago."

I prefer to use italics to define the formal name of court cases, although one might use quotes or some other formatting device.

Matching Mole

England, English
    "Came in" here isn't a phrasal verb; in is a preposition. The ruling came (was given; appeared) in (in regard to) the matter of D.H. and Others v. the Czech Republic.

< Previous | Next >