the salt which seasons godliness in the depraved world

< Previous | Next >

acemach

Malaysia - English & Mandarin
Hello everyone:

'We are the salt which seasons godliness in the depraved world.'
I'm looking for a translation of this into Chinese. The main words I'm having problems with are 'seasons', 'godliness', and 'depraved'. I have all but given up on a literal translation of 'the salt which seasons godliness', and any relevant 成語 or 言語 would be more than welcome.

As for 'depraved world', a friend suggested 淪落的世界, but I don't know if it sounds awkward.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

• GamblingCamel

USA English
    Hi ACEMACH.

I think it would be clearer in English to say, ""We are the salt that seasons the depraved world with godliness."
    "To season" is functioning as a transitive verb, where the direct object is "the world".

Here are Christian texts that use "salt that seasons the world".

Last edited:

acemach

GamblingCamel,
    I think it would be clearer in English to say, ""We are the salt that seasons the depraved world with godliness."
    "To season" is functioning as a transitive verb, where the direct object is "the world".
    The quote was indeed given to me by a Chinese Christian church member, and though I appreciate your correction of the original, I am searching rather to translate it INTO Chinese.
    While I comprehend the sense of the English phrase, I am having problems rendering it in Mandarin. Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks again,
    Ace

acemach

We are the salt that seasons the depraved world with godliness
    GamblingCamel's rearrangement of the words is less ambiguous than the original... thus I've decided to make an attempt based on that:

My best attempt at a translation:

我们把虔诚宣传/撒在这个邪恶的世界上。

Please feel free to correct it.
    Ace

Last edited:

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    墮落的世界 sounds better.

I think the sentence you gave is extremely difficult to translate. In Chinese, it's hard to connect salt with godliness. Maybe you'll have to think of another way to do it.

Letsmojito

chinese
    "We are the salt which seasons godliness in the depraved world."

I have googled this sentence seems it comes from bible.

Well the difficulty to translate this is the "seasons godliness", literally it is translated as "调味虔诚".

And the whole sentence will be like "我们是在这个堕落的世界里调味虔诚的盐",which is one awkward awkward expression.

So,for me the most possible sloution will be more inventive like,

我们是盐,让这个堕落的世界有了虔诚的味道。

"我们把虔诚宣传/撒在这个邪恶的世界上"
    I think it also works.It's bible so depends on how many literal things you wanna carry from the original text.

Anyway hope i helped.

< Previous | Next >