the same way <as> people do

smithsmith1

Chinese
Hello, Buddies! I came across a sentence like this(please see the picture below) I am confused with the difference between 'people do' and 'as people do'
1(a) Are you wondering if dogs can laugh the same way people do?
1(b) Are you wondering if dogs can laugh the same way as people do?

Both them are same? Can i use the 'people do' instead of 'as people do'?
1660352583954.png

• dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    1(c) Are you wondering if dogs can laugh the same way that people do?

I prefer 1(c). To me "that" sounds better than "as", when we are comparing actions (dogs laugh; people laugh).

But "that" (when used this way) is often omitted. People realize its meaning is there, even when it is omitted.
    People know "that" has been omitted, and where it was omitted. So people reading 1(a) think it means 1(c).

This action (omitting a word, but still using its meaning) happens frequently in English. It is confusing for learners. Fluent speakers know the patterns, so they know what word is missing.

smithsmith1

Chinese
    1(c) Are you wondering if dogs can laugh the same way that people do?

I prefer 1(c). To me "that" sounds better than "as", when we are comparing actions (dogs laugh; people laugh).

But "that" (when used this way) is often omitted. People realize its meaning is there, even when it is omitted.
    People know "that" has been omitted, and where it was omitted. So people reading 1(a) think it means 1(c).

This action (omitting a word, but still using its meaning) happens frequently in English. It is confusing for learners. Fluent speakers know the patterns, so they know what word is missing.
    In 1(c), 'that ' is a conjunction?

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    "I want to play basketball the same way that Kobe does."

Kobe does play (plays) basketball one way.
    I want to play basketball the same way.

smithsmith1

Chinese
    Thank you, I have another question. I run into a sentence on the Wr forum (please see the picture below),And meanwhile,i notice there is no 'the same way ' come before 'that speaking does'. As a native, could you make sense of it very well?

Attachments

• 1660362581173.png
      1660362581173.png
      60.8 KB · Views: 14

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    This sentence is not about a way (a method for doing something). This sentence is comparing two things:

(1) - the information that a written sentence transmits
    (2) - the information that a spoken sentence transmits

This sentence says that sometimes (1) is a subset of (2).

smithsmith1

Chinese
    This sentence is not about a way (a method for doing something). This sentence is comparing two things:

Hello, i guess 'that speaking does ' must be a attributive Clause in here.

smithsmith1

Chinese

Hello, my friends! I spend many time on this matter and believe something must be omitted. I decide to add some content .
    1(a). Writing doesn't always transmit all the information the same way that speaking does.
    1(b). Writing doesn't always transmit all the information that speaking does. (Original Sentence)
    Now, I think 1(a) is more explicit than 1(b). How do you think?

Forero

Hello, my friends! I spend many time on this matter and believe something must be omitted. I decide to add some content .
    1(a). Writing doesn't always transmit all the information the same way that speaking does.
    1(b). Writing doesn't always transmit all the information that speaking does. (Original Sentence)
    Now, I think 1(a) is more explicit than 1(b). How do you think?
    1(a) and 1(b) have very different meanings.

In 1(a), "the same way that speaking does" is an adverbial of manner answering the question "Transmit how?".
    In 1(b), "that speaking does" is attributive and answers the question "What information?".

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    Completely different meanings.

Note that in this sentence "this same way" really means "in the same way". These have identical meanings:

1(a). Writing doesn't always transmit all the information in the same way that speaking does.

smithsmith1

Chinese

In 1(a), "the same way that speaking does" is an adverbial of manner answering the question "Transmit how?".
    In 1(b), "that speaking does" is attributive and answers the question "What information?".
    Can i see ' the same way that' as subordinating conjunction, 'speaking ' as subject, and 'do' as verb. In china, english teachers always told us a basic Adverbial clause consists of subordinating conjunction,subject,and verb.

smithsmith1

Chinese

I got it , thanks😭

Forero

Can I look at ' the same way that' as a subordinating conjunction, with 'speaking' as subject and 'do' as verb? In China, English teachers tell us a basic adverbial clause consists of subordinating conjunction, subject, and verb.
    If you want, you can think of "the way (that)" as equivalent to "how" or "as" (subordinating conjunctions), and adding "same" is like adding "just":

Are you wondering if dogs can laugh the same way people do?
    = Are you wondering if dogs can laugh just as people do?