"the same with" and "the same as"

< Previous | Next >

liangmike

Mandarin
I know they have different meanning and usage by looking up dictionary and google it. But I am still not clear at their different, and in what situation I should use which one.

I was told that, "the same with" could be explained as the "the same situations with " like following sentence:

"John did not go to school today" "It is same with Mary"

As to "the same as" , it could be explained as " the same thing as", like:
"I have the same dreams as you"

Anyone have comments and more examples?

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    I know they have different meanning meanings and usages by looking them up in the dictionary and by google it Googling them. But I am still not clear at on their differentdifferences, and in what situation I should use which each one.

I was told that, "the same with" could be explained as the "the same situations with " like the following sentence:

"John did not go to school today" "It is the same with Mary"

As to "the same as" , it could be explained as " the same thing as", like:
    "I have the same dreams as you"

Anyone have comments and more examples?
    Yes, you have the general idea, but not quite. I would not, however, say "It is the same with Mary". I would say "Neither did Mary". I know that a lot of people say "Same with me!" but I don't think that's correct. What it means when said, however, is "It is the same (thing) with Mary".

"Same with..." means that two or more things agree.

"Same as" invites comparison ie: "Is your new car the same as mine?"

sevengem

Chinese
    But it seems to me that "same with" also implies a comparison, because you don't know if the two or more things agree without comparing them, right? So can anyone explain the difference a bit more clearly? Thanks!

Forero

The key to the meaning is the omitted but understood as phrase:

It is the same with Mary.
    = The situation is the same with Mary (as with John).

Compared with you, I have the same dreams. = (If I am) compared with you, (I see that we are similar in that) I have the same dreams (as you do).

The preposition with does not play the role of subordinating conjunction.

< Previous | Next >