The sanitation in this area, ________ (of which the maintenance / which maintenance) is neglected

hacchani

Bahasa Indonesia
Hi,

The sanitation in this area, ________ (of which the maintenance / which maintenance) is neglected by the inhabitants, has caused the spread of many infectious disease. -- I choose which maintenance since I don't know when I should choose of which

• Copyright

American English
    The sanitation in this area, of which the maintenance is neglected by the inhabitants, has caused the spread of many infectious diseases.

But that's very awkward. This is slightly better:
    The sanitation in this area, which is neglected by the inhabitants, has caused the spread of many infectious diseases.

But even that is wrong in terms of fact because it's not the sanitation that has caused the spread of diseases, but the lack of sanitation. This seems to be a pretty poor book you're having to learn from.

The poor sanitation in the area – the result of neglect by the inhabitants – has caused the spread of many infectious diseases.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The sanitation in this area, ________ (of which the maintenance / which maintenance) is neglected by the inhabitants, has caused the spread of many infectious disease. -- I choose which maintenance since I don't know when I should choose of which
    "Of which the maintenance" is the correct option. However, I would prefer "the maintenance of which."

hacchani

Bahasa Indonesia
    The sanitation in this area, of which the maintenance is neglected by the inhabitants, has caused the spread of many infectious diseases.

But that's very awkward. This is slightly better:
    The sanitation in this area, which is neglected by the inhabitants, has caused the spread of many infectious diseases.

But even that is wrong in terms of fact because it's not the sanitation that has caused the spread of diseases, but the lack of sanitation. This seems to be a pretty poor book you're having to learn from.

The poor sanitation in the area – the result of neglect by the inhabitants – has caused the spread of many infectious diseases.
    That's why I get confused. Actually it's a question of english examination from 10 years ago in my sister's school. Anyway, Thanks, it helps me a lot.

< Previous | Next >