The secret leverage point

< Previous | Next >

@2!

Persian
“Because as you get deeper into the search, you unify. You understand more and more specimens by fewer and fewer formulae. There is the excitement. Of course you are always after the big one, the new key, the secret leverage point, and that is the best of it.”

Hi everyone, this paragraph is a part of the book, “The Moviegoer” by Walker Percy. I have problem understanding the meaning of “the secret leverage point”. Is there anyone who could help me with it? Thanks in advance.

• QuasiTriestino

American English
    A leverage point in this case is some crucial point or very important part of a thing/system/animal/experiment/etc. that you are studying. Finding a secret leverage point would be like uncovering something very important about that thing that was not known before. This is of course the figurative use of leverage point. There's also a literal version as well. Hope this helped!

The Newt

English - US
    It may be at least an indirect reference to Archimedes: "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

< Previous | Next >