The shake of the evening

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From series<The Deuce>,
Frankie is playing poker with some friends in a club, and he lost. So he decides to go home. His brother says:
What, you givin' up? The shake of the evening.
What does shake mean here?
Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I think he said "shank", not "shake".

There is an old expression the "shank of the evening", which means the "main part (or best part) of the evening".

His brother is surprised that he is leaving so early, right in the middle of the evening.

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
    I think he said "shank", not "shake".

There is an old expression the "shank of the evening", which means the "main part (or best part) of the evening".

His brother is surprised that he is leaving so early, right in the middle of the evening.
    Thank you! You're right. The provided subtitles were wrong!

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    OED Shank: 9. dialect and U.S. The latter end or part of anything: the remainder or last part of a thing. Esp. in shank of the evening.
    1829 Virginia Lit. Museum 16 Dec. 418/2 ‘Won't you spend the balance of the evening with me?’ In some places, shank is quaintly used with the same signification.
    1856 P. Thompson Hist. & Antiq. Boston, Lincoln 722 Shank of the evening, the twilight or dusk of the evening, and in some cases the latter part of it.
    1972 P. G. Wodehouse Pearls, Girls, & Monty Bodkin vii. 97 ‘It's very late.’ ‘Shank of the evening.’

< Previous | Next >