the sheer stone slices wept

< Previous | Next >

Nousia

French - France
Bonjour,
Je n'arrive pas à comprendre le sens de cette partie de la phrase.

She had tried to love them for Anthony's sake... The train made its way trough a blackened cutting: the sheer stone slices on either side of her wept black, dank, perpetual tears.

Je ne suis pas sur mais je pense que l'auteur a voulu exagérer le fait que le personnage pleure à la fin de la phrase mais le début est assez complexe. J’espère que quelqu'un pourra m'aider

Merci d'avance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Jim in Phila

American English
    My guess: The train the woman is riding on is passing through a canyon or a mountain pass (the cutting, the stone slices) at night (blackened). The tears and weeping could be outside rain or a waterfall (perpetual). So "nature" is reflecting her sadness, her inner feelings.
    I hope this isn't too far fetched, but the original text does seem to be overwritten.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    Another possibility is that the "tears" are drops of water on the stone faces, formed by condensation.

Nousia

French - France
    Thank you for your answers. I think both solutions could work but I don't really understand what stone slices mean... Do you ?

Kelly B

USA English
    Moi j'imagine des couches de roches, des strates.
    edit: comme celles dans une carrière d'ardoise

Last edited:

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    Yes, "Slices" doesn't make sense - "Blocks" would be a better description. Sheer means vertical and steep so the water running down the black blocks/slices of stone makes the sides of the tunnel "weep".
    Over-poetic and dramatic maybe but these metaphors are common in literature. The stones are weeping in sympathy with the woman.

< Previous | Next >