the shelf below

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Qittat Ulthar, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Qittat Ulthar Senior Member

London, England
    Dutch (Netherlands)
    Can you say الرف تحته or do you have to say الرف الذي هو تحته? Or something different?

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    I think you can say it this way:

The shelf below = The lower shelf = الرف السفلي

3. Qittat Ulthar Senior Member

London, England
    Dutch (Netherlands)
    I would think though that الرف السفلى means the bottom shelf, or am I wrong? The shelf below is not necessarily the bottom shelf.

4. zăpadă

zăpadă Senior Member

Tunisia ...
    Limba Arabă
    It depends on the Context :)

Can you provide more Context ?

5. Hello Qittat,
    Can you give me more context so that I can help you because I don't understand your question.
    Regards.

6. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    You are correct, Qittat Ulthar, that it does not necessarily mean the bottom shelf, but I can't seem to think of a way to express it, so Faylasoof's suggestion may have to do. Or perhaps you could say something like الرف الذي تحت الرف الأول/الثاني/الأعلى مباشرةً.

I'm not sure تحته is used the way you used it. Rather the word أدناه is used to mean below in that sense. I also wanted to mention that phrases such as أدناه and أعلاه are, according to my knowledge, only used in formal written contexts in phrases such as المذكور علاه (previously mentioned) and الموقع أدناه (the undersigned). I don't think they are used to describe the position of physical objects in relation to each other. However, I might be wrong.

7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Hi Qittat,

Hoe gaat het?

I think: The bottom shelf = The lowest shelf = الرف الأسفل

So either you go for something like الرف السفلىor what Josh is saying, i.e. like a short sentence.

8. Outlandish

Outlandish Senior Member

Arabic
    If I get you correctly, you could say
    الرف التالى من أسفل
    الرف الذى يليه من أسفل

Or :
    الرف التالى

9. Qittat Ulthar Senior Member

London, England
    Dutch (Netherlands)
    Well, if you have a bookcase with six shelves, for example, and you have a row of books all by one author on the first shelf, but this row continues on the second shelf, you could say it is on the "top shelf and the shelf below". So "the shelf below" there means the shelf directly under the shelf you mentioned before.

10. Outlandish

Outlandish Senior Member

Arabic
    My guess then was correct
    على الرف الاول و الرف التالى له...

11. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Or الرف الأسفل منه or simply الرف الأسفل .
    The very bottom shelf is the أسفل رف or أدنى رف and also الرف الأسفل/السفلي if it's clear from the context.