The shop opens at eight thirty (8:30) a.m.

< Previous | Next >
  • natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, if you spell out the time, I would expect everything else to be spelt out too:

• eight thirty in the morning
    • half past eight in the morning
    • 8.30am

Sharifa345

USA
    US English, DR Spanish
    Yes, if you spell out the time, I would expect everything else to be spelt out too:

• eight thirty in the morning
    • half past eight in the morning
    • 8.30am
    I'd have to disagree here - you would likely never see "eight thirty in the morning" written out.
    Half past eight is very colloquial, would also not see written out, in my opinion.

Rival

English - UK
    I'd have to disagree here - you would likely never see "eight thirty in the morning" written out.
    I suspect that says more about what you read than about English usage. :)

In a book with some kind of literary merit, I would be a little surprised to see '8:30am' plonked in the middle of a paragraph of text. (Although it's quite common in the kind of escapist pulp I also read. :eek: :eek: )

Half past eight is very colloquial, would also not see written out, in my opinion.
    If that's very colloquial, what would you regard as the formal way to say it?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    A novel should spell it all out, either eight-thirty in the morning or half past eight in the morning in the narrative (and of course dialogue can use more informal forms like half eight), and I would narrow my eyes at the editing if I saw 8.30 in a novel. In a text in science or history or the like I would expect to see 8.30 a.m. or the like. (In all cases with the usual choices of exact form, which don't concern us in this question.)

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    Context is all.

In a railway timetable : 08.30
    In a note to my son : 8.30 or 1/2 past 8,
    In a letter giving me a hospital appointment : at 8.30 a.m.
    In a novel : half past eight, or eight-thirty (neither is 'colloquial', in my view). The context would probably preclude the need for any specific reference to a.m. or p.m..

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Context, as is repeatedly noted in this forum, counts. Where is this to be written? On a sign in the shop window? In a letter? In a diary? In a newspaper article?

< Previous | Next >