the shoulder of the hill

< Previous | Next >

milanforart

Chinese
Hi, I looked up "shoulder" in the dictionary and it says that "the shoulder (of something) " is a part of something, such as a bottle or mountain, that is shaped like a shoulder.

However, I still can't picture the image of "the shoulder of the hill" in my mind? Does it mean a flat area of the hill or what?

• Andygc

British English

Look at high point on right with a small hollow at its peak. See slope going down from high point towards left side of picture which becomes more level before dropping into narrow valley, then joins next hill The more level part is the shoulder of the hill on the right.

Andygc

British English
    Top centre there's a distant ridge. Come downwards in the picture, a ridge which is the shoulder of the hill on the right*. Come down again, valley floor.

*That's the hill whose peak is level with the top of the distant ridge.

milanforart

Chinese
    Oh, I was wrong the first time, and hope I am right this time! It seems that the shoulder of the hill is the side of the hill?

MARAGATA

Castellano, España
    Here's a definition from an English dictionary (Merriam-Webster) that hopefully helps to clarify this term and complements all the explanations:

Definition of SHOULDER

5: an area adjacent to or along the edge of a higher, more prominent, or more important part: such as
    a
    1): the part of a hill or mountain near the top
    (2): a lateral protrusion or extension of a hill or mountain

b
    : either edge of a roadway
    specifically : the part of a roadway outside of the traveled way

< Previous | Next >