the shout-out from no less a luminary than Kant

< Previous | Next >

tesoke

USA
Persian
Hi, during the following sentences, from "Reviving the Female Canon" by Susan Price, I cannot understand the meaning of the red part. Would you please explain it to me. Thanks.

In his first work, published in 1747, Immanuel Kant cites the ideas of another philosopher: a scholar of Newton, religion, science, and mathematics. The philosopher, whose work had been translated into several languages, is Émilie Du Châtelet. Yet despite her powerhouse accomplishments—and the shout-out from no less a luminary than Kant—her work won’t be found in the 1,000-plus pages of the new edition of The Norton Introduction to Philosophy.

• suzi br

English / England
    It basically means "despite being cited by Kant, an impoortant figure in this field”.
    "a shout-out” is a pretty informal term and certainly not one that Kant himself would have known! I think it originates from radio announcres and the like mentioning the names of listeners, this is known as a “shout-out”. I am not sure if that is the first use of this expression, but it is now used to mean “a mention” in a variety of contexts.

"no less a luminary than X” is a more well established phrase meaning “someone as important as X”.

< Previous | Next >