The show was as good as expected.

JungKim

Korean
I've got two related questions.

You watched a sports game expecting it to be good. And it lived up to your expectation.
(1) Can you say, "The show was as good as expected."?

Now, change of context. You watched a sports game just to kill some time, not particularly expecting anything. But it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It was not bad.
(2) Can you say, "The show was surprisingly not as bad as unexpected." or "The show was surprisingly not as bad as expected."? Which is better?
I think that the former is the more exact description of the situation than the latter, but just wonder if it's natural English.

• Copyright

American English
    "The show was surprisingly not as bad as expected."

"Not as bad as unexpected" doesn't work.

You can also say, "The show was unexpectedly good." Or "The show was surprisingly better than (I) expected."

owlman5

English-US
    You watched a sports game expecting it to be good. And it lived up to your expectation.
    (1) Can you say, "The show was as good as expected."?
    You can say that, JK, but it would be clearer to mention who expected it to be good: The show was as good as I expected it to be.

(2) Can you say, "The show was surprisingly not as bad as unexpected." or "The show was surprisingly not as bad as expected."? Which is better?
    I much prefer the second version. The first version doesn't make any sense to me.

Cross-posted with Copyright.

CasparWeinburger

English--Canada
    1) Yes. I would still prefer to say /...as I expected/
    2) /...unexpected/ We never say this.
    /The show was not as bad as expected/ is the correct answer, but I would still put a subject in there /...as I expected/

JungKim

Korean
    I understand that the 'unexpected' version is normally impossible. So let me present a different context. Please see if it might work in this context.

Now, you watched a baseball game with your friend. And you had expected it to be bad but it turned out to be not as bad. So, you said, "The show was surprisingly not as bad as expected."

But your friend, who wasn't interested in either of the teams playing the game at all but just happened to watch that game, found it "unexpectedly good". So, upon hearing your remark above, your friend made a slight change to the sentence and said, "The show was surprisingly not as bad as unexpected." Here, your friend wanted to emphasize the fact that he hand't expected anything from the game.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The show was surprisingly not as bad as unexpected.

This sentence would mean something like:
    The show was surprisingly not as bad as we didn't expect it to be.

This doesn't make much sense: how could it be surprising that the show wasn't as bad as you didn't expect it to be?
    And the sentence is very difficult to follow.​

In real life, we don't use 'unexpected' this way. We use 'unexpected' to mean something like 'surprising'. (I am giving the approximate meaning. I don't claim that they are interchangeable in all contexts.)

< Previous | Next >