The simple past/the present perfect.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Which sentence should I choose in the sentence?
The phrase 'In the last two decades' shows me that I should choose the present perfect. Is it right if I think like that?
"Today there are weather satellites that beam down information about the earth's atmosphere. In the last two decades, space exploration made/has made great contributions to weather forecasing. (Why not writing "weather forecast?)
Thanks very much.

• Kelly B

USA English
    Yes. "...has made great contributions..." is correct.
    "The weather forecast" is the weather prediction for a given time period: for example, it will be cloudy today, and rainy for the rest of the week.
    "Weather forecasting" is the process or science of making such predictions, and it is this process or science that has been improved through satellite information. As a result, today's forecast is more accurate.

If I say that "the weather forecast is improving," I mean that they now think it will be sunny, whereas yesterday they told us to expect rain. It is not a question of accuracy, but of how much I like the new prediction.

Your example, on the other hand, implies that "weather forecasting is improving," meaning that the science is making advances in accuracy.

Brioche

Australia English
    mimi2 said:
    In the last two decades, space exploration made/has made :tick: great contributions to weather forecasing.
    Thanks very much.
    In the last two decades [and still happening to-day], space exploration has made great contributions to weather forecasting.

but
    In the last two decades of the 20th century [a time in the past], space exploration made great contributions to weather forecasting.

< Previous | Next >