the simplicity of true greatness

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Give him (my son) humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness oftrue strength.

How should I understand the underlined part? Thanks.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    (Though I agree with Thomas1...)
    The writer or speaker is stating that he or she believes that true greatness is marked by simplicity, true wisdom is having an open mind, and that true strength is shown through meekness.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The "meekness" in question is probably intended to recall the term "meek" as used in translations of the New Testament. As such, it is there used as a translation of the Greek word praos. The word means "mild, gentle", but not in a timid or soft way. A ferocious wild beast that has been tamed, or a powerful warhorse that has been well trained to accept the command of its rider, might be described as "praos". While a tamed beast or a well-disciplined horse might be described as "gentle", and while an tremendously strong man might be "mild" when he speaks to little children, it is a different sort of gentleness or mildness entirely. Depending on whether or not MacArthur was aware of what the term "meek" was being used to translate, the meaning of his statement can change.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Give him (my son) humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness oftrue strength.

How should I understand the underlined part? Thanks.
    Well, at the end of the day, the sentence means "The true strength is not about provoking or being loud/savage, it comes from somewhere inside of your soul".

< Previous | Next >