The sky is falling

• Rita89k

Arabic & Greek
    So, it can have the same meaning as "the world is falling apart" , and can I use it in a sentence like this: The sky is falling in and my friend is thinking about what she wants to wear in the bloody ball" , I don't know if you understand what I mean.

Thanks again

Andygc

British English
    Welcome to the forum
    I would like to know the meaning of the expresion the sky is falling, please.
    It means nothing at all without context. Please follow the forum rules, it makes it easier for everybody.
    3. Be clear and provide context.
    Be descriptive, specific, and succinct in your posts, to avoid misunderstandings.
    Provide complete sentences and background information every time you ask a question. This allows us to understand your question and to help you better.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    So, it can have the same meaning as "the world is falling apart" , and can I use it in a sentence like this: The sky is falling in and my friend is thinking about what she wants to wear in the bloody ball" , I don't know if you understand what I mean.

Thanks again

You can use the phrase this way but you risk that your reader will take it as "hysterical over-reaction" on the speaker's (your) part. I'd go with "the world is falling apart"or something similar.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English

Thanks again

The idiomatic phrase would be "to the bloody ball." My understanding is that "bloody" is a swear word in British English, stronger nowadays than the American "damn."

Also, the stock phrase is, "the sky is falling," not "the sky is falling in."

You should keep that in mind when using your sentence.