the slight nip in the air that signalled shortening of days

Alex Coseff

Czech
Hello,

please, what exactly does the slight nip in the air refer to? A slight nip of sunrays?
Many thanks.

G.M.Malliet: Wicked autumn
"His heart lifted as he felt on his skin the slight nip in the air that signaled the shortening of days."

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's related to the same "bite" meaning that gives us the word "frostbite".

I'm reminded of a story (not sure whether it's apocryphal) where a TV reporter was covering a state visit by the Japanese emperor. After describing the various preparations that had been made for the visit, he said that the emperor's flight was due to land soon, and almost in the same breath commented on the temperature by saying "and there's a nip in the air".
    www.thefreedictionary.com/nip said:
    Nip (nɪp)
    n., adj. [short for Nipponese]

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It's related to the same "bite" meaning that gives us the word "frostbite".

I'm reminded of a story (not sure whether it's apocryphal) where a TV reporter was covering a state visit by the Japanese emperor. After describing the various preparations that had been made for the visit, he said that the emperor's flight was due to land soon, and almost in the same breath commented on the temperature by saying "and there's a nip in the air".
    Originally Posted by www.thefreedictionary.com/nip
    Nip (nɪp)
    n., adj. [short for Nipponese]
    It should be pointed out that this term for a Japanese person is offensive. I urge English learners: please do not use it.

< Previous | Next >