the solid Earth response to <unloading >

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Unloading what? Or what unloading? Sea water? Or ice?

Slowdown in Antarctic mass loss from solid Earth and sea-level feedbacks
Geodetic investigations of crustal motions in the Amundsen Sea Sector of West Antarctica, and models of ice-sheet evolution in the past 10,000 years have recently highlighted the stabilizing role of solid Earth uplift on polar ice sheets. One critical aspect, however, that has not been assessed is the impact of short-wavelength uplift generated by the solid Earth response to unloading over short time scales close to ice-sheet grounding lines (areas where the ice becomes afloat). Here, we present a new global simulation of Antarctic evolution at high spatiotemporal resolution that captures all solid Earth processes impacting ice sheets and show a projected negative feedback in grounding line migration of 38% for Thwaites Glacier 350 years in the future, or 26.8% reduction in corresponding sea-level contribution.

Source: Science 25 Apr 2019
Slowdown in Antarctic mass loss from solid Earth and sea-level feedbacks | Science

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I have no idea whether the writers uses terms that are standard in their field, but it is quite a long way removed from ordinary English.

The "unloading" appears to be a reduction of ground ice. I think the next part says that this causes the ground line to move seawards (because if the weight of covering ice is reduced, the ground rises; this is not stated, but appears in other studies). However, I could well be mistaken.

< Previous | Next >