The sound of л in мол

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
Can you please tell me whether л in Russian is pronounced as /l/ or /lˠ/(or /ɫ/, as l in English bell) when it comes at the end of a syllable (or word), as in мол?

• Awwal12

Russian
    [l] doesn't exist in Standard Russian. The only laterals are [lˠ] (/л/) and [lʲ] (/л'/).
    Note, however, that while both Russian [л] and English "dark L" are velarized, the English sound is normally apical ([l̺ˠ]) and the Russian one is laminal ([l̻ˠ]).

Last edited:

Assiduous student

English - UK
    It must be /lˠ/. [I like the IPA; I'm not a fan of comparisons with words in other languages, particularly as many English speakers don't have /lˠ/ in this word, or a consonant at all at the end of the word, but something more like /bɛo/. The IPA symbol removes all ambiguity.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Assiduous student

English - UK
    [l] doesn't exist in Standard Russian. The only laterals are [lˠ] (/л/) and [lʲ] (/л'/).
    Note, however, that while both Russian [л] and English "dark L" are velarized, the English sound is normally apical ([l̺ˠ]) and the Russian one is laminal ([l̻ˠ]).
    Awwal12, you live and learn, век живи, век учи - I have never noted the laminal quality of a hard l, and didn't even realise until now that it was possible to enunciate a laminal velarised consonant. I'll try to incorporate that in my pronunciation when I remember to!!!

< Previous | Next >