The sound of a motor collected out of the wide country

< Previous | Next >

Beachxhair

English-England
Salut
Je ne sais pas comment render le verbe to collect en français dans le contexte suivant. Il s'agit du son d'un moteur. Voici toute la phrase:

"At about six o'clock the sound of a motor, collected out of the wide country and narrowed under the trees of the avenue, brought the household out in excitement onto the steps."

Cet usage de collect en anglais me laisse perplexe....je n'arrive pas à trouver une traduction. J'ai pensé à s'amasser, mais cela se dit de la poussière n'est-ce pas?

Merci pour vos propositions :)

• CarlosRapido

français - English (Can)
    Are you married to the original text? I would change it to ...funnelled from the wide country by the trees of the avenue... and translate to canalisé. Otherwise you might want to try with recueillir

Beachxhair

English-England
    Merci Carlos....Et oui, il est écrit collected out dans mon fiche. Peut-être qu'il y a une faute de frappe? Mais j'en doute, je crois que mon prof aura photocopié l'extrait d'un livre.

bing181

English (Australian)
    The phrase is from Elizabeth Bowen, from a book written in the 20's, i.e. around a century ago. I doubt you'd find many other examples of this use of "collected", certainly in more contemporary English.

"recuelli" would cover "collected" I would think. "Narrowed" here means focused, channeled, as per the suggestions above, though something would normally be narrowed between or within, not narrowed "under".

< Previous | Next >