The sound of hoofbeats clicking on the ground

< Previous | Next >

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Good times to all.

The sound of hoofbeats clicking on the ground ?Is there another way to say so ?
The horse is beating the round with its hoofs?Could this be applied to a donkey or a mule or a camel?

In advance , thanks

Ayed

• Nikola

English - American
    I think you can use it for any animal with hooves. As far another way to say the phrase, you can use banging pounding and others.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Clip-clop and clippity-clop are two traditional ways of describing the sound of horses hooves. These horses would be walking (clip-clop) or trotting (clippity-clop). These sounds are closely associated with horses, I think. They are the sounds used in children's books.

Clop is the sound of a hoof striking the pavement; clopping is the verb for making the sound. I believe that these sounds may be associated with hoofed animals in general, and would work for the other animals you name. Clumping is a heavier thumping sound; it may work for camels, but I am not certain.

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

English - USA
    Of course, the sound associated with hooves isn't actually from the hooves, it's from the horseshoes. So unless the camels are shod, they're not going to sound like horses. Not that they're silent, of course.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thank you , Cagey. What if a horse running on the earth/soil/grass ?I feel there are different verbs used within this context

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In the results for a Google search for "heard the * of hoofbeats", the sound of hoofbeats was the most common. However, they also included:
    the rumbling of hoofbeats,
    the pounding of hoofbeats
    the muffled drum of hoofbeats
    the faint drumming of hoofbeats at a distance
    the rhythmic padding of hoofbeats on the soft grass
    the stomp of hoofbeats on the packed earth
    And so on. These were all horses, I believe.

MyIdio

English
    Good times to all.

The sound of hoofbeats clicking on the ground ?Is there another way to say so ?
    The horse is beating the round with its hoofs?Could this be applied to a donkey or a mule or a camel?

In advance , thanks

Ayed
    The sound of shoed horses is my absolute favorite sound in all the world! Be it old cowboy movies or modern-day depictions, I just love it and always have. It's a sound I can almost taste. That may sound weird; but, I can't describe it any other way. I don't necessarily hear a clip-cloping. It's a rounder more robust looping sound. More of an unending soft knocking. Clip-clop to me is sharp, exact and abrupt. The sound interpretation that is audible to me is continuous, uninterrupted round and soothing. I would like to know why this sound appeals to me so - and what, if anything it means.

< Previous | Next >