The sound of paddy being husked "fell into the ear."

< Previous | Next >
  • jmichaelm

English - US
    We never refer to sounds falling into the ear in standard English. We sometimes refer to sounds falling "on ears", but I think that is only common in the expression "falling on deaf ears".

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    We never refer to sounds falling into the ear in standard English. We sometimes refer to sounds falling "on ears", but I think that is only common in the expression "falling on deaf ears".
    Then I believe it's a typo error. The sound of paddy husked fell on the ears should be the right one.

se16teddy

English - England
    Then I believe it's a typo error. The sound of paddy husked fell on the ears should be the right one.
    I think you have misunderstood jmmichaelm. He is not saying that The sound of paddy being husked fell on the ears is a standard, conventional collocation.

But literature is full of things that are not standard, conventional, collocations. The purpose of literature is to say things that have never been said before.

rituparnahoymoy

Assamese -India
    I think you have misunderstood jmmichaelm. He is not saying that The sound of paddy being husked fell on the ears is a standard, conventional collocation.

But literature is full of things that are not standard, conventional, collocations. The purpose of literature is to say things that have never been said before.
    Oh , Now I understood.

< Previous | Next >