''The sound of piano''

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi, dear all

The sound the piano makes carries a strong feeling of emotion, which can also reflect how much affection the performer really put into it.

I try to write a short sentence about ''The sound of piano'' by myself. However, I am not confident if it is correct the sentence I write above. Please give some advice if I misuse the word, thanks.

• aero58

Canada
    it seems okay to me, and if you want to make the ending a little better, you could replace "it." with "his composition."

Retailmonica

US - English
    kenny4528 said:
    The sound the piano makes carries a strong feeling of emotion, which can also reflect how much affection the performer really put into it.
    You should probably use "that" in between "sound" and "the"... though that might be up for debate. Also, drop the word "can" and change "reflect" to "reflects". This makes your argument sound stronger and more assuring. I'm not a fan of the "how much" and "put into it" phrases, but it does make sense. "Performer" can also be "pianist". What you have written does make sense, it's just how strong you want to make your sentence.

So I suggest:

The sound that the piano makes carries a strong feeling of emotion, which also reflects the amount of affection the pianist really feels.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    1. "...to carry emotion" is I think what you intended, while "to make emotion" doesn't mean anything. You could say "makes one feel emotional" but that's over-complicating things. You could also say "the sound of the piano creates strong emotions."

2. Since emotion is feeling, you don't need to say "a strong feeling of emotion"

3. You don't need to say "which can also reflect", in fact that doesn't sound right. It's an unnecessary word.

4. "Affection" means friendly-feelings (for someone/something). I think are looking for the word "feeling" but didn't want to use it because you had used it earlier in the sentence. Since that usage wasn't necessary, you can use it now instead of affection.

Here's a version with those corrections applied :

The sound of the piano carries a lot of emotion, which can reflect how much feeling the performer put into playing.

Retailmonica

US - English
    1. "...to carry emotion" is I think what you intended, while "to make emotion" doesn't mean anything. You could say "makes one feel emotional" but that's over-complicating things. You could also say "the sound of the creates strong emotions."

2. Since emotion is feeling, you don't need to say "a strong feeling of emotion"

3. You don't need to say "which can also reflect", in fact that doesn't sound right. It's an unnecessary word.

4. "Affection" means friendly-feelings (for someone/something). I think are looking for the word "feeling" but didn't want to use it because you had used it earlier in the sentence. Since that usage wasn't necessary, you can use it now instead of affection.

Here's a version with those corrections applied :

The sound of the piano carries a lot of emotion, which can reflect how much feeling the performer put into playing.
    Agreed, very good alternative.

< Previous | Next >