the spelling of marijuana

< Previous | Next >
  • xqby

English (U.S.)
    It's either a silent "j" and pronounced as Bibliolept mentioned, or pronounced as a Spanish "j," which is the same thing as an "h" in English.

gaer

US-English
    I would recommoned checking this site first, for two reasons:

1) You will find most of your answers here in WR.
    2) If you don't find an answer in WR, you help everyone by saying so; that's how new definitions are added. :)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    It is worth noting that in all the statutes of the State of New York concerned with this item, its name is spelled with an h, not a j: "marihuana".

I am sure that New York State is not unique in using this less-common spelling.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    It is worth noting that in all the statues of the State of New York concerned with this item, its name is spelled with an h, not a j: "marihuana".

I am sure that New York State is not unique in using this less-common spelling.
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that government does something strictly out of blind tradition and completely out of step with what all those governed think or do.

(By the way, I think you mean "statutes" rather than "statues." Though the idea makes me look at the Statue of Liberty's ornate torch in an entirely different manner.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thank you both for that wonderful picture :)
    In return, I offer the multiplicity of spellings noted by the OED:
    Forms:
    18 mariguan,
    19- mara huiwane,
    19- marajuana,
    19- mariahuana,
    19- mariguana,
    19- marihuana,
    19- marijuana,
    19- merrywanna (humorous).

ricardo6

español
    "J" is never silent in Spanish language if I may say. In the above proposed case it's pronounced as "h" in English but stronger, a bit as a muffled "snoring" sound. Really a difficult issue to pronounce this letter for native English speakers. As a matter of fact difficult for any non-native Spanish speaker. Thanks for reading.

< Previous | Next >