the spike music sales see when a popular artist dies

LQZ

Mandarin
Reuters reported that Janney Montgomery Scott analyst Bill Choi thinks store traffic and “sentiment-related purchases” are likely to get a bump, but nothing on par with the spike music sales see when a popular artist dies. The Washington Post

Dear all,

I suspect see should be seen. Is it a typo? Thanks.

LQZ

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Whatever makes you think that, LQZ? This is a statement about the general present in the present simple tense - "music sales see a spike every time a popular artist dies..."

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    No, 'see' is correct:
    but it's nothing on a par
    with the spike
    [that] music sales see.

Music sales 'see' a spike when a popular artist dies.
    The bump (temporary increase) is much less than that spike.

Here 'see' means something like 'experience'. I can see why you found it difficult to follow. It's odd to think of sales seeing anything.

Last edited:

LQZ

Mandarin
    Thank you, Cagey and boozer.

I misread the sentence; I read "the spike music sales" together. :(

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It could have been but nothing on a par with the spike seen in music sales when a popular artist dies.

That use of see to mean to show, to exhibit, or, as Cagey suggests, to experience, is a strange anthropomorphism. I don't think it's in the WR dictionary, though it's in M-W as 2a: to have experience of : undergo.

LQZ

Mandarin
    It could have been but nothing on a par with the spike seen in music sales when a popular artist dies.

That use of see to mean to show, to exhibit, or, as Cagey suggests, to experience, is a strange anthropomorphism. I don't think it's in the WR dictionary, though it's in M-W as 2a: to have experience of : undergo.
    Thank you, TT. :)

< Previous | Next >