the spring flowers at Madison

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
I am reading A Sand County Almanac, by A. Leopold, and I am wondering whether "Madison", in the following passage, refers to Madison Square Garden, Madison Ave. in New York, Madison City in Wisconsin, or... The passage is "...into 1886, when the College of Agriculture held its first short course for farmers; into 1885, preceded by a winter ‘of unprecedented length and severity’; into 1883, when Dean W. H. Henry reported that the spring flowers at Madison bloomed 13 days later than average; into 1882, the year ..." Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

• lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Thanks, bennymix. it is just what I thought but, just in case... There are so many things I miss in American culture; I wanted to make sure.

Minnesota Guy

American English - USA
    The College and the Dean referred to are probably associated with the University of Wisconsin, which has its largest campus in Madison.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The College and the Dean referred to are probably associated with the University of Wisconsin, which has its largest campus in Madison.
    They are indeed. The College of Agriculture is part of the University of Wisconsin, and Professor William Arnon Henry ("W.H. Henry" appears to be a typo) was the first Dean of the College. Anyone reading the name "Madison" in association with Wisconsin (as this whole book is...) would take it to mean the city of Madison, which is not only the location of the University of Wisconsin, but is also the capital of the state.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Thank you, Minnesota Guy.

Sorry for the typo "know" for "now", GreenWhiteBlue. <——-Off-topic comments removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >