the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me.

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning ladies & gentleman, Kant.: "...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." That part is enough, I think. How is it translated into your language:
Hungarian: "...a csillagos ég felettem és az erkölcsi törvény bennem.:

• TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Italian: "... il cielo stellato sopra di me, e la legge morale dentro di me."

(Very literal, not much to comment upon. I would have spontaneously used the plural "i cieli stellati" to match "the starry heavens", but apparently the established translation into Italian uses the singular form: "il cielo stellato", literally "the starry sky/heaven". I guess it also sounds more natural.)

Edit. I just checked and the original version, in German, uses the singular.

Last edited:

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Welsh

" ... y nef/nefoedd* serog
    ** uwch fy mhen a'r gyfraith foesol tu mewn i mi."
    DEF. ART. heavens starry above my NASAL MUTATION head and DEF. ART. SOFT MUTATION law SOFT MUTATION moral inside to me
    "...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

*nef (fem. sing.) and nefoedd (plur.) can both be used for 'heaven' and 'heavens'.
    ** serennog is also possible for 'starry'

Perseas

Greek:
    Ο ξάστερος (formal. έναστρος) ουρανός πάνω μου και ο ηθικός νόμος μέσα (formal. εντός) μου.

<<"ξάστερος ουρανός" is singular for "starry heaven"; the plural form is "ξάστεροι ουρανοί" >>

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    “El firmamento sobre mí y la ley moral dentro de mí.”

O bien, “el cielo estrellado sobre mí y la ley moral dentro de mí”.

“Firmamento” refers to the heavens and the visible celestial bodies.

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    This is from our very own WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English:
    Usually, heavens. the sky, firmament, or expanse of space surrounding the earth.

heaven

< Previous | Next >