<the state room where Edward I stayed>

MrRise

Russian
Hello! I wonder what does stayed mean here, because... to stay means to stay on your own legs? And... nothing else for me, so probably Edward I in this sentence

You can see the medieval Great Hall, the State Room where Edward I stayed as well as the dungeons and torture chambers.

Maybe he was a king and ruled his kingdom? Stayed... just was there once or more times? Please, explain! :)

Maybe you need more context, but there's no really something else about him. It's the text of The most Haunted Castle in Britain called Chillingham (interesting, how to say it right? Chillinam?)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    In early days before mass communications, kings had few ways of making their presence known. One of these was called 'the royal progress'. They would make a tour of the country from time to time, staying as a guest in the largest house in the area.

MrRise

Russian
    In early days before mass communications, kings had few ways of making their presence known. One of these was called 'the royal progress'. They would make a tour of the country from time to time, staying as a guest in the largest house in the area.
    You mean, Edward I wasn't a king of this castle, but.. was a king of another one? So he wanted to increase his popularity visiting other castles to get known around people?

MrRise

Russian
    The King of England does not rule a particular castle, but rather the entire country.
    Yep, the enire country. I think I got what it means here, it means just he was there, in Chillingham castle, and it's well worth a visit, then. Stayed, reside temorarily, was, he visited this place once. Did I get it right?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Yep, the enire country. I think I got what it means here, it means just he was there, in Chillingham castle, and it's well worth a visit, then. Stayed, reside temorarily, was, he visited this place once. Did I get it right?
    Yes. The castle was not his ordinary residence.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "Stay" is also the normal word to use when, for example, you go on holiday: "We went to Barcelona for a week. We stayed at the Hotel Colón."

< Previous | Next >