The stock market could go down 10% in a breeze

atakeris

Latvian
Hello,

The stock market could go down 10% in a breeze.

Does this idiom make sense here? I want to say that it could go down easily, quickly without using adverbs.

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I've never heard this idiom, but it makes perfect sense to me. I would understand it to mean that any little thing - even just a breeze - could make the stock market fall by this small amount.

heypresto

English - England
    To me, 'a breeze' is something that is done easily but not necessarily quickly. It doesn't quite work in your sentence.

Something like '' . . . go down in a flash/an instant' is more idiomatic.

Packard

USA, English
    If you mean it can happen easily, then "in a breeze" or "in a light breeze" (a sailing metaphor, I believe) works fine. Like Sparky I find this a little-used metaphor, but one dictionary I consulted online lists its meaning:

in a breeze

Easily;handily;without much or any effort.

If you mean that it can happen very quickly, then "in a flash".

Packard

USA, English
    If you mean it can happen easily, then "in a breeze" or "in a light breeze" (a sailing metaphor, I believe) works fine. Like Sparky I find this a little-used metaphor, but one dictionary I consulted online lists its meaning:

in a breeze

Easily;handily;without much or any effort.

If you mean that it can happen very quickly, then "in a flash".
    Hey Presto posted while I was still typing. And we agree on that "in a flash" means quickly.

What are you trying to express?

Packard

USA, English
    "Even a small breeze could topple the stock market resulting in a drop of 30 to 40 percent."

"The stock market is like a coin balanced on its edge; the slightest breeze or vibration could make it topple."

"The stock market it poised like Karl Wallenda on a tightrope: A breeze could undo either."

(Karl Wallenda was a high wire tightrope walker killed with a stiff breeze knocked him off the rope.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >