the stones rolled from under my feet, the ivy branches I grasped gave way

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 25

Quotation: I heard the gallop of a horse at a distance on the road; I was sure it was you; and you were departing for many years and for a distant country. I climbed the thin wall with frantic perilous haste, eager to catch one glimpse of you from the top: the stones rolled from under my feet, the ivy branches I grasped gave way, the child clung round my neck in terror, and almost strangled me; at last I gained the summit. I saw you like a speck on a white track, lessening every moment.

Context: Jane told Mr. R another ominous dream.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold sentence. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

to give way => to yield; to give way to force, pressure, etc., so as to move, bend, collapse, or the like.

the sentence => the stones (that I stepped on) rolled (down) from under my feet, the ivy branches I grasped gave way (= yielded to my weight so as to bend)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    the sentence => the stones (that I stepped on) rolled (down) from under my feet, the ivy branches I grasped gave way (= yielded to my weight so as to bend)
    Yes, that's right - her climb to the top was difficult, and once she had reached the top, Mr R had passed by and was a long way from her

< Previous | Next >